Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Cleanse: Day 1

Today, I started a 14-day Detox/cleanse as outlined by Dr. Natasha Turner in the book The Hormone Diet. (who made a recent appearance on the Dr. Oz show) Dr. Turner's cleanse, similar to others, has you cut out foods that are difficult to digest and/or cause systemic imbalances. At the same time you take various supplements to help flush out toxins and bring your body back into balance. At the end you should not only feel better, but your metabolism should be humming along at top speed, making weight loss come easier.

Dr. Turner's book also contains a lengthy quiz to find out if you have any hormones that are out of whack, and suggests additional supplements you can add to help bring those back into balance.

The important thing for me when considering this cleanse is that I still get to eat actual food. Knowing myself and how much I love to eat, drinking lemonade for days on end is not for me!


These are the supplements I'm taking. They include:

  • Probiotics - the same good for you bacteria that's found in yogurt
  • Liver cleanse - herbs to help flush toxins out of the liver
  • Clear fiber - helps to flush the newly released toxins from the body
  • Omega-3 supplements: I always thought fish oil was just good for your heart, but it turns out it's good for your digestion too
  • Whey isolate protein powder - a protein supplement helps with maintaining muscle
This morning I started my day with a liver cleanse and probiotic supplement, followed by a breakfast smoothie. I've been making breakfast smoothies for years, but had to make a slight modification to remove the dairy. 
  • 1/8 cup walnuts
  • 1 1/2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
  • 1 banana
  • 1 scoop whey protein isolate powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
Mid-morning snack: an apple and a Simply protein bar


For lunch I had soba noodles, with a sesame/soy/ginger/lime dressing with cauliflower and sliced chicken.

Mid-afternoon snack: apple and another protein bar

Dinner: sauted some garlic and thai chili in a little canola oil, added cauliflower and potato, then scrambled in a couple of eggs. With dinner I took my Omega-3 supplement.

Before bed, I'll take my fiber supplement and another probiotic.

So far, I'm feeling highly motivated and ready to keep going! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my resolve will continue.

1 comment: